Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Y2K Bug is a bug kaiju created by Hanna-Barbera that appeared in the 1999 The Godzilla Power Hour short, Godzilla vs. Y2K Bug. The comedic short was aired as a bumper during commercial breaks on both Cartoon Network and its sister station Boomerang.
The Y2K Bug is a massive insect resembling a bee or winged ant. The monster is colored entirely silver and black and appears to be at least partially mechanized. It has a completely flat underbelly with the words "Y2K BUG" stamped on.
Whilst having a party for the new millennium on the Calico, the crew encounters the Y2K Bug. It flies above the ship roaring down at them until Pete announces its presence to which the monster says "Actually, I prefer Millennium Bug" before continuing to roar. Fearing that the monster will wreak havoc on computer-bearing devices, the crew attempt to call on Godzilla for help. However, as Carl attempts to use the Godzilla Signal, it begins sparking with no sign of Godzilla. Quinn concludes that Carl must not have updated the device's embedded microchips and the short concludes. It is unknown what happened to the Y2K Bug after the events of this short, however it is assumed the monster was somehow defeated.
According to Quinn, the Y2K Bug has the capabilities to wreak havoc on anything which uses a computer, listing examples such as crashing the stock market and causing power grids to fail, although these events are never shown. The Y2K Bug also possesses the ability to communicate using human speech, as well as producing roars.
- Main article: Y2K Bug/Gallery.
- The Y2K Bug is an obvious reference to the widespread software phenomenon of the same name.
- Its secondary name "Millennium Bug" is also another name for the software issue.
- The short in which the Y2K Bug appears is the only episode of The Godzilla Power Hour in which Godzilla himself is not physically present, not counting the short's title screen
- Although having the motif of an insect, the Y2K Bug possesses eight limbs, technically making it closer to an arachnid.