The X from Outer Space (宇宙大怪獣ギララ?, Uchū Daikaijū Girara, Lit. Giant Space Monster Guilala) is a 1967 tokusatsu kaiju film produced by Shochiku Company Ltd. It was released to Japanese theaters on March 25, 1967, and to American television syndication via American International Television in 1968.
The spaceship AAB Gamma is dispatched from Japan to land on Mars and investigate reports of UFOs within the area. When the Gamma nears the red planet, it finds a mysterious UFO that begins to coat the Gamma with unusual spores. One of these spores is taken back to Earth, but begins to develop.
The spore grows into a giant lizard/chicken-like alien monster called Guilala that begins a rampage across Tokyo. It spits fireballs, feeds on nuclear fuel, turns into a giant energy ball when it wants to fly, and destroys airplanes and tanks along its rampage. The monster is finally defeated by jets dropping bombs, coating Guilala in a fictional substance known as "Guilalalium" that causes it to shrink back down to spore size. They promptly launch the spore back into space, where it will supposedly circle the sun in an endless orbit.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Kazui Nihonmatsu
- Written by Moriyoshi Ishida, Eibi Motomochi, and Kazui Nihonmatsu
- Produced by Wataru Nakajima
- Assistant Producing by Akihiko Shimada
- Music by Taku Izumi
- Cinematography by Shizuo Hirase and Chitora Ôkoshi
- Edited by Yoshi Sugihara
- Special Effects by Hiroshi Ikeda
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Eiji Okada as Doctor Kato
- Shun'ya Wazaki as Captain Sano
- Toshinari Kazusaki as Captain Sano
- Robert Sommer as Voice of Captain Sano
- Itoko Harada as Michiko
- Peggy Neal as Lisa
- Susan Spafford as Voice of Lisa
- Franz Gruber as Doctor Berman
- Mel Welles as Voice of Doctor Berman
- Mike Daneen as Doctor Stein
- Edward Mannix as Voice of Doctor Stein
- Shin'ichi Yanagisawa as Miyamoto
- Keisuke Sonoi as Doctor Shioda
- Hiroshi Fujioka as Moon station correspondent A
- Sônosuke Oda as Moon station correspondant B
- Ryûji Kita
- Takanobu Hozumi as FAFC Technical Officer
- Toshiyuki Watanabe
- Torahiko Hamada as Mister Kimura
- Kenji Sonoda
Weapons, Vehicles, and Races
- Main article: The X from Outer Space (1967 film)/Gallery.
- Main article: The X from Outer Space (Soundtrack).
- Giant Space Monster Guilala
- Guilala, the Space Monster (Guilala, O Monstro do Espaço; Brazil)
Orion Video (1989)
- Released: 1989
- Language: English
- Other Details: 1 tape
Criterion Collection (2012)
- Released: November 20, 2012
- Region: Region 1
- Language: Japanese, English
- Format: Multiple Formats, Anamorphic, Box set, Black & White, Color, NTSC, Subtitled, Widescreen
- Other Details: 1.77:1 aspect ratio, 336 minutes run time, 4 discs
- Released: December 3, 2014
- Region: All Regions
- Language: Japanese (Mono), English
- Format: Blu-Ray
- Other Details: 1.78:1 aspect ratio, 94 minutes run time, 1 disc
This is a list of references for The X from Outer Space (1967 film). These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: