In Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, the SanDaikaijuRado's name comes from the film's Japanese title, specifically san daikaiju (三大怪獣?), meaning three giant monsters, and Rado, which comes from Rodan's Japanese name, Radon ( (ラドン?).
The SanDaikaijuRado suit looks very similar to its predecessor, ShodaiRado, but with significant differences. Alterations from Rodan's previous traits include more rounded wings with short claws, a longer neck, a smaller and thinner beak, and large expressive eyes in contrast to the pitch black eyes of the ShodaiRado suit. The suit is also called the DaisensoRado (大戦争ラド?) in Invasion of Astro-Monster.
- The SanDaikaijuRado suit is the only Rodan suit to be used in more than one movie.
- While the body of the suit remained the same, the wings were changed in each movie it appeared in.
- After its appearance in Invasion of Astro Monster, one of the DaisensoRado puppets was sent to Tsuburaya Productions. There, it was de-feathered and remade into the giant bird, Litra. Afterwards, the prop was modified again, and given a completely new color scheme and feathers to turn it into the endangered bird kaiju, Larugeus. Finally, the suit was returned to Toho, and was de-feathered again, then redesigned heavily into the puppet used for the Giant Condor.
List of appearances
- Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (First appearance)
- Invasion of Astro-Monster
- Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (Redesigned into Giant Condor)