Pacific Rim: Uprising is an upcoming sequel to the 2013 Legendary Pictures kaiju film Pacific Rim. It will be produced by Legendary and distributed by Universal Pictures, and will be released to theaters on March 23, 2018.
- John Boyega as Jake Pentecost
- Scott Eastwood as Nate Lambert
- Cailee Spaeny as Amara
- Jing Tian as Liwen Shao
- Rinko Kikuchi as Mako Mori
- Charlie Day as Dr. Newt Geiszler
- Burn Gorman as Dr. Hermann Gottlieb
- Levi Meaden as Ilya
- Adria Arjona
- Rahart Adams
- Karan Brar as Suresh
- Nick E. Tarabay
- Ivanna Sakhno
- Zhang Jin
- Mackenyu as Ryoichi
- Shyrley Rodriguez
- Wesley Wong
- Lily Ji
- Chen Zitong
- Lan Yingying
- Qian Yongchen
- Xiao Yang (cameo)
- Kim Jeong-hoon (cameo)
In July 2012, director Guillermo del Toro discussed the possibility of making a Pacific Rim sequel. "We always leave ideas that were in the first draft as you go along. You know, either a set piece that was great but too expensive, an idea that was really bright, but it couldn't quite fit the structure... so we have a little stash of stuff we wanted to do that we didn't get to do. So if that's a possibility, A) I would be very happy to do a sequel, but B) a lot of these ideas, set pieces and all that, actually have in them a really good seed for a sequel." On December 4, Legendary Pictures announced that it had selected Pacific Rim co-writer Travis Beacham to write the sequel, along with del Toro, though there was no comment as to whether del Toro would return to direct the second film. At WonderCon 2013, del Toro expressed enthusiasm for a potential crossover between Pacific Rim and Godzilla—another Legendary Pictures kaiju film—but stressed that no such plans were in place. In July 2013, Del Toro discussed the sequel, stating: "The main idea that we're bouncing off is the fact that Newt drifted with a Kaiju brain, and all Kaiju brains are connected. We say that. They are like a hive mentality. So, you know, draw your own conclusions." The director has also stated the sequel will feature "Gipsy 2.0," as well as a "merging of Kaiju and Jaeger". In October 2013, Del Toro revealed that he and Beacham would return to write the sequel, despite the film not yet being greenlit at the time.
In June 2014, when the sequel was still unconfirmed, del Toro stated that he had secretly been working on the script with Zak Penn for several months and confirmed that Raleigh and Mako would return. Beacham initially developed the storyline with del Toro, but dropped out to work on the TV series Hieroglyph. Later in June 2014, del Toro confirmed that he would direct the sequel, and that it would be released by Universal Pictures on April 7, 2017. A non-episodic animated series connecting both films and a continuation of the graphic novel were also announced. On July 9, del Toro announced that pre-production for Pacific Rim 2 would start in August 2014, with principal photography commencing in late 2015. The film was later given the working title Maelstrom.
On September 17, 2015, the film was indefinitely delayed due to the rights shuffling on Legendary's Kong: Skull Island and rumored preparations for a Godzilla and King Kong crossover. Guillermo del Toro made a statement the next day confirming the news, but also assuring the public that the film was not cancelled and that he and the studio were still actively working on it.
On January 7, 2016, The Hollywood Reporter reported that Legendary had taken Pacific Rim 2 "off the table indefinitely," and that Guillermo Del Toro was now in talks to direct Twentieth Century Fox's upcoming remake of the 1966 sci-fi classic, Fantastic Voyage instead. However, the source stated that the film could still potentially be revived in the future, given Del Toro's enthusiasm for the project and the fact that Legendary had recently been acquired by Chinese conglomerate Wanda, since Pacific Rim made more profit in China than anywhere else.
On January 11, Guillermo del Toro made a statement on Twitter saying that Pacific Rim 2 was not cancelled and "still going," and that he would "remain w(ith) it in one way or another."
Eventually, Steven S. DeKnight, director of Spartacus and several episodes of Marvel's Daredevil, was hired to direct the film, while Derek Connolly, co-writer of Universal's Jurassic World, was hired to write the script. Guillermo del Toro will remain on as a producer for the film, while Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni and Mary Parent will return to produce the sequel as well. Production of the film was scheduled to finally begin in late 2016. On June 6, Deadline reported that John Boyega, star of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, had been cast as the lead in the film, and that he would be playing the son of Idris Elba's character, Stacker Pentecost, from the first film. Boyega will also be serving as a producer of the film along with Femi Oguns under their production company Upper Room Productions.
- Argentina - February 22, 2018
- Brazil - February 22, 2018
- France - February 22, 2018
- Portugal - February 22, 2018
- Russia - February 22, 2018
- Australia - February 23, 2018
- Germany - February 23, 2018
- Spain - February 23, 2018
- United Kingdom - February 23, 2018
- United States of America - March 23, 2018
- Japan - February 24, 2018
- Denmark - March 2, 2018
- Greece - March 2, 2018
- Italy - March 9, 2018
- ↑ Pacific Rim Comic-Con panel: Giant robots! Giant monsters! Giant monster American Idol!
- ↑ Pacific Rim Sequel Already in the Works with Writer Travis Beacham (Exclusive)
- ↑ Guillermo Del Toro Talks Hypothetical PACIFIC RIM vs. GODZILLA Movie, and His HEAVY METAL Approach
- ↑ Full Pacific Rim Interview with Guillermo del Toro
- ↑ Pacific Rim 2? Director Already Has 'A Couple Of Things' In Mind
- ↑ Guillermo del Toro on the Pacific Rim Blu-ray, Frankenstein, and His Cabinet of Curiosities
- ↑ "Pacific Rim 2" Script In The Works, Says Guillermo del Toro
- ↑ Exclusive: Guillermo del Toro Talks PACIFIC RIM Animated Series; Says It’s Envisioned as a Long Arc That Connects to PACIFIC RIM 2, Not Episodic
- ↑ ‘Pacific Rim 2′ Confirmed for April 7, 2017, Release
- ↑ Guillermo Del Toro Says 'Pacific Rim 2′ Will Be “Very Different”
- ↑ Guillermo Del Toro to Direct B&W Film Before ‘Pacific Rim 2′
- ↑ Guillermo Del Toro is still working on Pacific Rim 2 - Entertainment Weekly
- ↑ Guillermo Del Toro in Talks to Direct 'Fantastic Voyage' Remake (Exclusive) - The Hollywood Reporter
- ↑ Guillermo Del Toro on Twitter - "Pacific Rim 2 cancelled? Don't believe everything you read. It's still going and I'll remain w it in one way or another!
- ↑ 'Star Wars' John Boyega Takes Lead In 'Pacific Rim' Sequel - Deadline
- ↑ Pacific Rim 2 Release Date Set for 2018 - ComingSoon.net