Kamoebas' name is derived from the Japanese word "kame," which means turtle, and "amoeba."
Kamoebas' scientific name from Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S., "Megalo matamata," is likely derived from the Greek word "Megalos," which means "giant" or "great," and the word "matamata" which might come from the mata mata turtle.
HistoryGanimes was destroyed, Yog turned to a rock turtle and made Kamoebas. It also made another Ganimes. However, bats fled from a nearby cave and caused Yog to lose control of the monsters. They battled each other up the mountain in the center of the island and both fell into the volcano, destroying themselves and Yog forever.
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.. In the film, news agencies and the J.S.D.F. swarmed to a small part of the coast of Japan. A dead Megalo matamata, or Kamoebas, had washed ashore in the night. As it was investigated they noticed several large claw marks on its neck. It becomes clear to the humans that Kamoebas had been killed by Godzilla.
- Kamoebas has a hard carapace.
- Kamoebas has an extendable neck.
ComicsGorosaurus and Megaguirus fought. It was classified as a "water kaiju" by the Shobijin. Kamoebas was captured by the Trilopods at some point and was imprisoned in their hive. King Caesar recognized Kamoebas as a monster from his time and freed him before freeing all of the other imprisoned kaiju. Kamoebas then assisted in the final battle against the Trilopods and Magita, and followed Godzilla out to sea along with the other monsters once the battle was over.
- Main article: Gallery:Kamoebas.
In Other Languages
- Russian: Камоэбас
- Yiddish: קאַמאָעבאַס
- In the movie Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S., Anguirus was supposed to be the monster whose carcass washes ashore, not Kamoebas. However, staff thought that putting Anguirus in that role would draw negative fan reactions, so they changed the monster to Kamoebas. Another, unconfirmed reason may be because Anguirus is traditionally Godzilla's ally.
- Concept art shows that Kamoebas' role also originally was meant for a giant mosasaur, but Toho felt it would be odd to introduce a brand new creature just to have it die in an unseen fight.