Newly released or upcoming content
|Godzilla vs. Kong|
May 22, 2020
Godzilla vs. Kong, also known by the working title of "Apex" is an upcoming American science fiction monster film produced by Legendary Pictures, and the fourth entry in the MonsterVerse, following 2019's Godzilla: King of the Monsters. It acts as a sequel to both King of the Monsters and Kong: Skull Island, and it will be released to American theaters on May 22, 2020.
Godzilla vs. Kong is being directed by Adam Wingard, produced by Mary Parent, Alex Garcia, Eric McLeod, and Brian Rogers, and written by Terry Rossio. The film is slated to continue where King of the Monsters leaves off, and will see King Kong and Godzilla meeting and battling each other.
In a time when monsters walk the Earth, humanity’s fight for its future sets Godzilla and Kong on a collision course that will see the two most powerful forces of nature on the planet collide in a spectacular battle for the ages. As Monarch embarks on a perilous mission into uncharted terrain and unearths clues to the Titans’ origins, a human conspiracy threatens to wipe the creatures, both good and bad, from the face of the earth forever.
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Adam Wingard
- Written by Terry Rossio
- Produced by Mary Parent, Alex Garcia, Eric McLeod, and Brian Rogers
- Executive producing by Kenji Okuhira, Yoshimitsu Banno (posthumously), Jon Jashni, and Thomas Tull
- Edited by Josh Schaeffer
- Production design by Owen Patterson and Tom Hammock
- Director of Photography Ben Seresin
- Special Effects Supervisor John “DJ” DesJardin
- Costume Designer
- Art Department
- Sound Designer
- Motion Capture Consultants
On October 14, it was officially announced that Legendary Pictures will be remaking King Kong vs. Godzilla. The project had been rumored ever since Legendary acquired the rights to King Kong and announced Kong: Skull Island in 2014, and the rumors have become even more prominent after the project was moved from Universal Pictures to Warner Bros.
On September 10, Legendary announced its plans to create a shared cinematic universe featuring both Godzilla and King Kong, as well as other giant monsters including Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah. Legendary's Godzilla was the first entry in this universe, followed by Kong: Skull Island in 2017 and the upcoming Godzilla: King of the Monsters in 2019, culminating in Godzilla vs. Kong in 2020.
On May 10, it was revealed that Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs. Kong had gotten new release dates of March 22, 2019 and May 29, 2020.
On March 10, it was revealed that the film's writer's room had been established, consisting of Patrick McKay, J.D. Payne, Lindsey Beer, Cat Vasko, T.S. Nowlin, Jack Paglen, and J. Michael Straczynski, under the direction of screenwriter Terry Rossio. The writers have been tasked with creating and thinking of the best basic ideas and beats for the script until a writer is actually hired to properly write it out.
During San Diego Comic-Con, an interview with IGN and Adam Wingard took place. The director spoke on how he felt Kong: Skull Island gave him an "easy way out" in relation to explaining Kong's size change in the upcoming film, but acknowledged how they were aware of the issues involving the plot point. In addition, upon being asked about how monster films tend to deal with figurative and tonal shades of gray, Adam brought up the idea of how easy it is to demonize Godzilla, while going on to express how he has emotional attachments to both monsters. Godzilla vs. Kong was once again confirmed to still be on track for a 2020 release during the interview.
In August, another interview took place with Adam. Much of the subject matter remained the same as his SDCC interview, with Wingard reiterating that he wants there to be an emotional drive to the film, while expressing how he wants "people to really be teary-eyed at the end of the movie". Adam also revealed that Godzilla and Kong won't be the only monsters in the film, calling it "a massive monster brawl movie".
Shortly following the prior interview in August, director Adam Wingard was then interviewed by Entertainment Weekly, and went on to speak about how the film will have a definitive winner, in light of the decades-long debates over King Kong vs. Godzilla's ending. Shortly afterwards, during an interview with Slashfilm, Adam Wingard revealed that Godzilla vs. Kong will take place in the present-day and feature some characters from Godzilla: King of the Monsters. He also teased a "more rugged, a bit more aged" Kong in the film.
|“|| Talking to Adam made me so happy because he, in particular, really understands the kind of anime, manga, mech sensibility that I was trying to bring to Kong. He gets that and that was something that I fought so hard for and was so difficult to sort of realize to life through concept to execution with ILM [Industrial Light and Magic.] That’s one of the things I’m most proud of with him. I think he truly gets that and he truly wants to lean into this version of Kong that kind of was born from my crazy and stupid video game brain.|
Yeah. He’s got plenty of freedom to sort of play around with how he wants and to play around with … I always joke that my Kong was kind of like a character in a Shane Black movie in the sense that he just gets beat the fuck up by the end of the movie. He’s just battered and scarred, and so he’s got that kind of reluctant protagonist vibe to him. I think Adam’s willing to take that anime thing and do what he needs to do as he squares off with Godzilla.
— Jordan Vogt-Roberts
On August 9, it's reported that VFX supervisor Zack Fox had been brought onto the film.
On September 12, October 1st was set as the date marking the beginning of principal photography, and the filming locations revealed were Atlanta, Hawaii, and Australia. Five days later, on the 17th, it was confirmed that production would begin in Hawaii.
On October 1, it was revealed that film production would start on a later date.
On October 7, The Gold Coast Bulletin confirmed that pre-production for the film would begin later in the month. The following day on the 8th, Prime Minster Scott Morrison and Legendary executives announced Godzilla vs. Kong making landfall in Australia, with filming to begin in Queensland at the Village Roadshow Studios before the end of the year.
On October 29, it was announced that production on the film would begin in November after missing its initial October placeholder dates.
On November 3, it was announced that production would begin on Monday the 12th.
On November 5, Alexander Skarsgård revealed some information about his character, and dismissed the rumor about his character being the leader of a military unit.
|“||He’s not an alpha, bad-ass hero, which I thought was quite interesting. He is thrown into this very dangerous situation and is definitely not equipped for it and that makes it a bit more interesting in my opinion than had he been a bad-ass dude. He’s just a tiny, tiny human trying to survive between these two behemoths.||„|
— Alexander Skarsgård
On November 6, Wingard confirmed shooting would start that week via Instagram post and shared a small sneak peek of a storyboard from the film.
On November 11, it was announced Shun Oguri would make his Hollywood debut in Godzilla vs. Kong. Prep for shooting was spotted at Lanai Lookout depicting a helicopter crash. The following day, Legendary officially announced the beginning of principal photography in Hawaii and Australia, and the first synopsis of the film was released.
On November 13, filming was spotted taking place at Manoa Falls.
On November 15, Alexander Skarsgård and Eiza González were spotted filming in Hawaii at the crashed helicopter set at Lanai Lookout, apparently portraying Monarch agents. They were seen wearing copper and black jumpsuits bearing the Monarch symbol as Skarsgård was filming a fist fight scene with another actor and González seemed to play the team leader.
On November 20, production was spotted setting up tents in Sand Island State Park and filming in the H3 Freeway of the Harano Tunnels. The following day, filming took place at the Hawaii Convention Center.
On November 26, Lance Reddick arrived in Hawaii and there was reported filming in the Hawaiian Telcom building in Downtown Honolulu. The following day, filming took place in the Sand Island State Park and Recreation Area, with Monarch vehicles, soldiers, and military tents on set, and in a house on Aukai Street in Kahala.
On November 29, Millie Bobby Brown was photographed on set with director Wingard in Hunukai Park, with possible sightings of Julian Dennison, Alexander Skarsgård, and Kyle Chandler. Filming also took place at Kalaeloa Airport, where a set was built at the Naval Air Museum including cranes, large blue screens, and rain machines.
On November 30, photos of a storm tracker van and police car at the Sand Island Park set appeared online with decals naming the location, suggesting that Hawaii might be standing in for Pensacola, Florida.
On December 1, it was reported that filming had taken place on the USS Missouri and preparations were being made at Battery Cooper at Kualoa Ranch. On December 3, filming at Kalaeloa Airport and set-up at the Battery Cooper bunker continued. The following day, filming took place at Kualoa Ranch.
On December 8, Wingard and Monarch soldiers were seen on the Battery Cooper set.
The next day, it was reported that Apex signs were seen leading to the Sand Island Wastewater Treatment Plant. Two days later, it was reported that setup took place at Pier 10 of the Aloha Tower Marketplace, and that the estimated last day of shooting in Hawaii would be either the 19th or 20th before moving on to Australia. The following day on the 12th, there were reports of filming at the Sand Island Wastewater Treatment Facility with sets including an interior "scary corridor" and exterior sets depicting destruction. A casting call went out for extras for filming on December 14 and 17.
On December 13, photos of the set from the Wastewater Treatment Facility surfaced online, and a night shoot took place at Chinatown in the Oahu Market area. On the 14th, filming occurred at the Aloha Tower Marketplace. The next day on the 15th, a photo of a storm tracker van from the Thursday shoot in Chinatown appeared on online, and Millie Bobby Brown was reported to had been on set.
- Netherlands - May 28, 2020
- Russia - May 28, 2020
- Brazil - May 29, 2020
- United States - May 22, 2020
- ↑ Cambro, Edward (May 4, 2017). Godzilla vs. Kong Release Date Moves Up One Week Screenrant. Retrieved May 4, 2017
- ↑ Mueller Matthew (May 4, 2018). Godzilla Vs Kong Working Title Revealed Comicbook. Retrieved May 5, 2018
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 (November 12, 2018). Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Entertainment’s Monsterverse Shifts into Overdrive as Cameras Roll on the Next Big-Screen Adventure “Godzilla Vs. Kong”. Business Wire. Retrieved November 12, 2018
- ↑ (October 14, 2015). LEGENDARY AND WARNER BROS. PICTURES ANNOUNCE CINEMATIC FRANCHISE UNITING GODZILLA, KING KONG AND OTHER ICONIC GIANT MONSTERS Legendary. Retrieved June 5, 2017
- ↑ Geier, Thom (May 10, 2016). ‘Godzilla 2,’ ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ Stomp Out New Release Dates The Wrap. Retrieved June 19, 2017
- ↑ Liptak, Andrew (March 10, 2017). Legendary assembles Godzilla vs. Kong writers room to guide its cinematic universe The Verge. Retrieved June 19, 2017
- ↑ Kit, Borys (May 30, 2017). 'Godzilla vs. Kong' Finds Its Director With Adam Wingard (Exclusive) Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 19, 2017
- ↑ Sliva, Marty (July 20, 2017). COMIC-CON 2017: GODZILLA VS. KONG DIRECTOR ON SIZE DIFFERENCE, TAKING THE MONSTERS TO THE NEXT LEVEL IGN. Retrieved July 21, 2017
- ↑ Whitney, Erin (August 18, 2017). ADAM WINGARD SAYS ‘GODZILLA VS. KONG’ WILL BE MORE EMOTIONAL THAN THE AVERAGE MONSTER MOVIE Screencrush. Retrieved August 19, 2017
- ↑ Collis, Clark (August 19, 2017). Godzilla vs. Kong will have definite 'winner,' says director Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 19, 2017
- ↑ Topel, Fred (August 21, 2017). Director Adam Wingard on How ‘Death Note’ Prepared Him For ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ Slashfilm. Retrieved January 5, 2018
- ↑ Mueller, Matthew (September 12, 2017). 'Godzilla v Kong' Will Carry Over One Important Piece Of 'Kong: Skull Island'. ComicBook.com. Retrieved November 14, 2018
- ↑ Perez, Lexy (June 2, 2018). 'Deadpool 2' Star Julian Dennison Joins 'Godzilla vs. Kong'. Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 30, 2018
- ↑ Perez, Melissa (July 12, 2018).Godzilla vs Kong is Looking to Cast Black Panther's Danai Gurira. ScreenRant. Retrieved October 30, 2018
- ↑ Fiduccia, Christopher (August 9, 2018). Godzilla vs Kong Recruits Pirates of the Caribbean VFX Supervisor. ScreenRant. Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- ↑ @GormaruIsland (September 12, 2018). GODZILLA vs. KONG Cements October 1st For Principal Photography, Lead Role Auditions Reportedly Occurring. Facebook. Retrieved October 31, 2018
- ↑ @GormaruIsland (September 17, 2018). Further Official Confirmation --- GODZILLA vs. KONG To Commence Principal Photography Next Month Via Hawaii Film and Television Production Chief Officer Georja Skinner. Facebook. Retrieved October 31, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (September 19, 2018). Let them fight. Twitter. Retrieved October 2, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (September 27, 2018). More signs of the coming Apexalypse. Twitter. Retrieved October 2, 2018
- ↑ @GormaruIsland (October 1, 2018). UPDATE: Estimated GODZILLA vs. KONG Principal Photography Date Missed, Official Production To Happen Later This Month. Facebook. Retrieved October 31, 2018
- ↑ @GormaruIsland (October 7, 2018). GODZILLA vs. KONG To Commence Pre-Production In Australia This October! Announcement Tomorrow, Filming In Queensland AU. Facebook. Retrieved October 31, 2018
- ↑ @GormaruIsland (October 10, 2018). Brian Tyree Henry to Co-Star With Millie Bobby Brown in ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ (Variety Exclusive) Facebook. Retrieved October 30, 2018
- ↑ @GormaruIsland (October 17, 2018). 'GODZILLA vs. KONG' Casting News! -- Demián Bichir Joining Millie Bobby Brown in 'Godzilla vs. Kong'/ Atlanta Filming in November! Facebook. Retrieved October 30, 2018
- ↑ @GormaruIsland (October 17, 2018). 'GODZILLA vs. KONG' Apex Production Date Finalized!? Principal Photography Storms October 29th. Facebook. Retrieved October 31, 2018
- ↑ @GormaruIsland (October 25, 2018). New Casting! Alexander Skarsgard Joins ‘Godzilla vs. Kong! Facebook. Retrieved October 30, 2018
- ↑ @GormaruIsland (October 29, 2018). UPDATE! GODZILLA vs. KONG Start Date Marches To November -- Australia and Atlanta Confirms, Hawaii No Longer Confirms October Filming. Facebook. Retrieved October 31, 2018
- ↑ @GormaruIsland (October 30, 2018). GODZILLA vs. KONG Casting News! Rebecca Hall and Eiza Gonzalez Join The MonsterVerse! (Via From Variety and Deadline) Facebook. Retrieved October 30, 2018
- ↑ @scifiedcom (November 3, 2018). Principle photography for #GodzillaVsKong (2020) begins THIS MONTH!. Twitter. Retrieved November 3, 2018
- ↑ Furdyk, Brent (November 5, 2018). Alexander Skarsgard Spills Details About His Role In ‘Godzilla Vs. Kong’. ET Canada. Retrieved November 7, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 6, 2018). ‘Godzilla vs Kong’ Director Adam Wingard dropped a little spoiler today on IG and says that they “start shooting this week”.. Instagram. Retrieved November 6, 2018
- ↑ Kroll, Justin (November 8, 2018). ‘Game of Thrones’ Actress Jessica Henwick Joins ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ (EXCLUSIVE). Variety. Retrieved November 8, 2018
- ↑ Fleming Jr, Mike (November 11, 2018). Japanese Star Shun Oguri Makes Hollywood Debut In ‘Godzilla Vs. Kong’. Deadline. Retrieved November 12, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 11, 2018). We put the RNH Bat-signal out and you guys came thru!!. Twitter. Retrieved November 14, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 13, 2018). Godzilla vs Kong spotted at Manoa Falls today. Twitter. Retrieved November 14, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 14, 2018). Jessica Henwick arrived on Oahu today to join the rest of the cast!!. Twitter. Retrieved November 14, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 14, 2018). The sun rises on Godzilla vs Kong - Day 5 - Battleship Missouri. Twitter. Retrieved November 14, 2018
- ↑ N'Duka, Amanda (November 14, 2018). ‘Bosch’ Actor Lance Reddick Cast In ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’. Deadline. Retrieved November 14, 2018
- ↑ (November 16, 2018). Alexander Skarsgard Packs a Punch While Filming 'Godzilla vs. Kong' With Eiza Gonzalez. Just Jared. Retrieved November 16, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 20, 2018). Godzilla vs Kong APEX spotted setting up at the very end of Sand Island State Park for filming.. Twitter. Retrieved November 24, 2018
- ↑ @gernerttl (November 20, 2018). Driving by the set for Godzilla versus Kong. Instagram. Retrieved November 24, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 21, 2018). Godzilla vs Kong filming at the Hawaii Convention Center today! Day 10. Twitter. Retrieved November 24, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 24, 2018). Julian Dennison arrived on island this morning to join the cast and crew of Godzilla vs Kong. Twitter. Retrieved November 25, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 24, 2018). Millie in Hawaii this afternoon with a fan!. Twitter. Retrieved November 25, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 26, 2018). FYI.... this dude is on island too.. Twitter. Retrieved November 28, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 26, 2018). Deep inside the Hawaiian Telcom building Godzilla vs Kong things are happening. Day 11. Twitter. Retrieved November 28, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 27, 2018). Today Godzilla vs Kong APEX is filming way, way, way down at the very end of Sand Island State Park and Recreation Area.. Twitter. Retrieved November 28, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 27, 2018). Godzilla vs Kong spotted filming in a house on Aukai St. in Kahala today.. Twitter. Retrieved November 29, 2018
- ↑ @ReelNewsHawaii (November 29, 2018). Some pics hit the web late last night of Millie Bobby Brown and Director Adam Wingard on the set of 'Godzilla vs Kong' yesterday.. Facebook. Retrieved November 29, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 29, 2018). Godzilla vs Kong is filming at Kalaeloa Airport.. Twitter. Retrieved November 29, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (November 29, 2018). We're not in Hawaii anymore, Kaiju.. Twitter. Retrieved November 30, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (December 1, 2018). Another sunrise at the Battleship Missouri. Godzilla vs Kong filming happening now. Day 16. Twitter. Retrieved December 2, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (December 2, 2018). Couple shot from Godzilla vs Kong filming on the USS Missouri today.. Twitter. Retrieved December 2, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (December 3, 2018). For those who care like we do... Godzilla vs Kong is still filming at Kalaeloa Airport in Kapolei - Barbers Point today.. Twitter. Retrieved December 3, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (December 4, 2018). Godzilla vs Kong filming at Kualoa Ranch today.. Twitter. Retrieved December 4, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (December 9, 2018). Got followers reporting seeing APEX signs that lead to the Sand Island Wastewater Treatment Plant.. Twitter. Retrieved December 11, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (December 11, 2018). Alright everyone if your fans hoping to get a glimpse of Godzilla vs Kong this is probably your last chance.. Twitter. Retrieved December 12, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (December 12, 2018). Godzilla vs Kong update: For the last few days they've been filming at the Sand Island Wastewater Treatment Facility.. Twitter. Retrieved December 12, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (December 12, 2018). Alright ladies & gentlemen this is the last Hail Mary casting call for Godzilla vs Kong!. Twitter. Retrieved December 12, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (December 13, 2018). Godzilla vs Kong will be filming what appears to be a night shoot in Chinatown tonight in the Oahu Market area.. Twitter. Retrieved December 15, 2018
- ↑ @reelnewshawaii (December 14, 2018). The sun sets on Day 25 of Godzilla vs Kong here at Aloha Tower Marketplace.. Twitter. Retrieved December 15, 2018