Godzilla was first awakened in 1956 after an H-Bomb experiment and later destroyed the Japanese countryside. It protected Japan for years from monsters before it disappeared in the 1970s. It reappeared in Alaska, and soon made its way down to the mainland of America. S.H.I.E.L.D tried to stop it, but failed. He fought other monsters and superheros on his way down, and was used to stop an alien invasion. He was shrunken and sent back the Cretaceous Period through a time machine, but soon appeared in New York again at his full size. He fought the Fantasic Four and the Avengers along with S.H.I.E.L.D, but was eventually turned away by a young bystander named Rob Takaguchi. He swam out into the Atlantic Ocean.
Godzilla MutationDevil Dinosaur. He fought it and destroyed it, and returned to the sea. After an unknown amount of time, Godzilla returned to his original form and attacked New York under the control of Mole Man.
In 2009, in Kunashir Island, Japan, Godzilla, now called "Leviathan," was summoned by Dr. Yuriko Takiguchi as a 'self-destruct mechanism' should an enemy attack his secret lab, which Beast, Archangel, Dr. Nemesis, and Madison Jeffries along with Takiguchi were in. Archangel is compelled to transform into his secret Death/Archangel persona openly to kill Godzilla, and does so.
Godzilla is able to breathe a radioactive flame of intense heat. He is also immensely strong and possesses a remarkable resilience to injury and a very quick acting healing factor. The mutant dinosaur is also fully amphibious, able to operate underwater as easily as he can on land. His hands are fully usable, enabling him to grab objects and employ them as crude weapons, or even snatch planes from the sky. The monster's long tail can also be employed as a powerful, bludgeoning whip. The monster also goes into a violent frenzy when harmed, overpowering his adversaries with a sudden and surprising burst of berserk strength when on the very verge of defeat.
Godzilla in modern comics
- Later on in Marvel's career, Godzilla was seen as one of the Mole Man's monsters during their assault on New York. However, he was not in his mutated form, suggesting it was not actually Godzilla Demonicus mutated.
- Godzilla is the first Marvel monster to jump off the Empire State Building.
- His height is supposed to be based on the Godzilla of the Showa era, but in some issues, Godzilla is seen towering over the Golden Gate Bride, high at its highest point.
- At the height of 150 meters tall, the Marvel Godzilla is tied for the tallest Toho monster ever, alongside King Ghidorah.
- The Marvel Godzilla has been used to represent Godzilla in the Godzilla trademark icon since 1977, with the printing of the first Godzilla issue, for the most part. The older trademark icon has been used as late as 1984 in media, an example being the box for Godzilla vs. 3 Major Monsters.
- Unlike his Toho counterpart, this Godzilla's spines never glow when his heat ray is charged.
- Marvel's Godzilla is the only thing to somehow, either gain immunity or over powered Pym Particles.