|Produced by||Legendary Pictures|
|Directed by||Gareth Edwards|
|Music by||Alexandre Desplat|
|Alternate Titles||Godzilla 2014|
|Rating||Unknown (Possible PG-13)|
|“||An epic rebirth to Toho's iconic Godzilla, this spectacular adventure pits the world's most famous monster against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity's scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence.||„|
|— Warner Brothers' description for the film at Comic-Con 2013|
The film was also made into a novel titled Godzilla: The Official Novelization by Greg Cox, which is to be released on May 20, 2014.
Gareth Edwards confirmed an origin story for the film. Frank Darabont, the screenwriter, described his plans for Godzilla as returning it to a "terrifying force of nature" in interviews. The film will add a "very compelling human drama" and that Godzilla would be tied to a "different contemporary issue" rather than the original atomic bomb testing. Director Gareth Edwards, at a promotional appearance in 2012, described the tone of the film. "We're just going to take it really seriously. I've wanted to see this movie this way all my life. Imagine if this really happened – as crazy as it sounds – what would it really be like?" In January 2013, it was reported that Warner Brothers, in a meeting for advertisers, revealed that the film would contain two new monsters in addition to Godzilla, and the plot of the film would revolve around the story of a young US Marine. David Goyer, who is also a screenwriter, stated that there were two other monsters in the script when he worked on it. Elizabeth Olsen described the film as "definitely not lighthearted. It's kind of going back to its roots of the original Japanese film" and that "there's a strong theme of the importance of family, as well as the theme of trying to control nature, and how that backfires in the end". Cranston says that he plays a scientist called Joe Brodie that "discovers an anomaly in some sonar, signalings, patterns, and is just starting an investigation when all hell breaks loose".
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson - Taylor-Johnson plays a soldier named Ford Brodie who is the film's main character. His wife is Elle Brodie, played by Elizabeth Olsen. They have one son together.
- Elizabeth Olsen - Olsen plays a nurse named Elle Brodie that is Ford Brodie's wife. They have one son together.
- Bryan Cranston - Cranston plays a scientist named Joe Brodie with a PhD who is working in Japan". He's the step-father of Ford Brodie.
- David Strathairn
- Ken Watanabe
- Juliette Binoche
- Richard T. Jones
- Akira Takarada
- Sally Hawkins
- Yuki Morita
- Brian Markinson
DevelopmentIn 2007, film producer Brian Rogers met former Toho company director Yoshimitsu Banno who had the rights to make an IMAX 3D Godzilla film. Rogers then met Toho to arrange a license to produce a 3D Godzilla film. After securing the rights, Rogers approached several film companies and Legendary Pictures agreed to work with Rogers on the project. In August 2009, rumors surfaced that Legendary were in talks with Toho to produce a new American Godzilla film to be released in 2012.
On March 29, 2010, it was confirmed that Legendary had acquired the rights to Godzilla. They plan to reboot the franchise with Warner Bros. co-producing and co-financing. TriStar Pictures will not be involved in the production because their rights to the character expired in 2003. Legendary plans to make the new film closer in style to the original Japanese character than TriStar's iguana-like creature. According to Thomas Tull, chairman and CEO of Legendary Pictures, "Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop culturally relevant for as long as it has."
At the 3D Summit conference held in September 2010 at Universal Studios, producer Brian Rogers confirmed the planned date of 2012. The reboot will be a live-action project featuring a computer-generated Godzilla. Godzilla will fight at least one other monster, rather than the United States Army like in Roland Emmerich's film. It was also mentioned that Godzilla will use his atomic breath, a trademark weapon omitted by Emmerich and co-writer/producer Dean Devlin in the previous American film in favor of power breath.During Comic-con 2012, director Gareth Edwards participated in a Godzilla panel, in which they screened a new teaser trailer, described as so, a destroyed city is seen, as Robert Oppenheimer's speech comes in, "I am become death, destroyer of worlds" as a huge dead centipede type creature is smoldering, and finally, a roar is heard, and the camera cuts to Godzilla, true to his Japanese origins, roaring. Although no videos of this trailer were taken, a still to the right side was taken by a fan, showing a vague view of Godzilla.
As of September 13, 2012, the movie's release date has been announced. The movie will be released on May 16, 2014.
On October 3, 2012, the movie is set to be in production on March 2013 in Vancouver. Also, Drew Pearce, the screenwriter of Iron Man 3, has been hired to do some rewrites to the script.On December 18, 2012, a screenshot of, what appears to be, the Godzilla trailer was posted on the Tumblr of Jordane Menard, the modeler concept and texture artist for the film. Menard has said "I'm Working on the Trailer of the next Godzilla here at MPC London as Modeler and Texture Artist. I've worked on the foreground on the building and the characters." Also, Drew Pearce was asked, on his Twitter, if there's going to be some scenes where Godzilla breathes fire, destroys buildings, taking out the military, done right and will be nothing like the 1998 film and his response was "There's a lot of of it in the current trailer... but new stuff coming very soon..."
Announced on March 13, 2013, the film has started production and filming on Vancouver Island. Also, Jim Rygiel, visual effects supervisor of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, has been hired to do the special effects for this film.
On March 18, 2013, Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced the final principal cast for the film, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, David Strathairn and Bryan Cranston. Also, the film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Brothers while Toho will be distributing it in Japan, and the film will be in 3D.
On March 19, 2013, Gareth Edwards has announced that they've finished filming the first scene. Also, reports of a burning helicopter and a nuclear missile being transported by a train have been cited at Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, all of this is rumored to be in the movie.
On March 21, 2013, Richard T. Jones joins the cast of the movie.On March 28, 2013, Akira Takarada, who starred in previous Godzilla films, joins the cast of the movie.
On April 5, 2013, Sally Hawkins joins the cast of the movie.
On April 17th, 2013, Brian Markinson joins the cast of the movie.
On April 20th, 2013, Yuki Morita joins the cast of the movie.
On April 23rd, 2013, it has been revealed that Godzilla will continue filming for two months in Hawaii.On April 25th, 2013, Legendary posted a picture in their wall showing a path of destruction Godzilla has left behind.
On May 2nd, 2013, Legendary posted a picture in their wall showing what seems to be a power plant. 
On May 16th, 2013, a new photo about people being hospitalized in the FEMA stadium popped up and was confirmed by Gareth Edwards appearing in it in an update.
On May 22, 2013, Legendary uploaded a new photo to their Facebook page. It shows top secret documents that do not reveal much, but it also reveals a map of Maintop and Maintop Bay (Farallon Islands), which used to have nuclear waste dumped into them in real life.
On May 18, 2013, Legendary posted a new picture in their Twitter. Other sources, like Lainey Gossip, PUNKD Images, Spoilertv, Clayton Perry Photography, and VancityFilming have put up additional pictures and videos.
On June 6, 2013, Legendary uploaded a new photo to their Facebook page.
On June 10, 2013, many pictures appeared on comicbookmovie.com surrounding the filming of the film.
On June 6, 2013, many pictures featuring Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Bryan Cranston were uploaded in m.justjared.com.
On June 17, 2013, Variety.com released an article that says that 'Godzilla' will have action figures, with Bandai America Incorporated as the film’s master toy partner.
On June 18, 2013, Comingsoon.net released pictures of posters from Licensing Expo 2013, including Jurassic Park 4, Ninja Turtles, and Godzilla.On June 19, 2013, Legendary posted a new photo on their Facebook showing a closed radioactive containment door.
On June 22, 2013, yvrshoots.com released pictures of Elizabeth Olsen on set.
On Saturday, July 20, 2013, sometime from 10:45 to 1:15 in Comic-Con, Legendary and Warner Bros. showed a preview for the film.On July 15, 2013, IGN.com released a teaser poster for the Legendary Godzilla.
On July 17, 2013, Deadline.com spotted and released an image of Godzilla from the Godzilla Encounter at SDCC 2013.
On July 17, 2013, Collider.com posted around 75 pictures of what was inside Legendary's Godzilla Encounter museum. Between the many pictures, two concept designs of the Legendary Godzilla can be seen.
On July 19, 2013, ShockTillYouDrop.com interviewed Gareth Edwards. They found out the following facts:
- The picture to the right is close to Godzilla's final design.
- The last day of filming was July 18, 2013.
- Godzilla will be a force of nature, not an antagonist or a hero, but an anti-hero. "He's the punishment we deserve".
- The theme is man versus nature, and Godzilla "is definitely on the nature side".
- There's a nuclear element in the movie, and the film will be "as realistic as possible".
- Toho was very involved in designing Godzilla. Edwards said "they feel we've stayed true to their roots. In the encyclopedias and books you read about Godzilla, there's these different groups - all of the Godzillas in one section and then there's the American film. I'd love ours to be considered as part of the Toho group."
On Comic-Con July 20, 2013, in an interview with IGN Edwards has confirmed that this will be the tallest Godzilla ever.
On Comic-Con July 20, 2013, another trailer was shown. Comicbooknews.com posted what happened in it:
"Starts off by showing a beach with atomic testing and mushroom cloud with ash falling from the sky with the Godzilla movie logo then shown. Now the footage that was shown at least year's Comic-Con is revealed, described as a "mood piece" (i.e. get the crowd excited). The footage of the destroyed city is shown with Oppenheimer's famous quote, "We knew the world would not be the same. Some people cried. Most people were silent." Gareth Edwards then steps on to the stage followed by Elizabeth Olsen, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Bryan Cranston. Elizabeth Olsen says she plays a mother and a nurse in Godzilla. Cranston is next kidding that he is the old guy in the film, but loved the movie monster as a kid. Says he was nervous at first about being part of such an iconic character and film. Edwards then mentions that the human characters in the film are close to Godzilla, and then tells a funny story about getting stopped at the Canadian Border with Customs telling him not to F' up the movie when they realized who he was.
Soldiers are shown running through streets and a flooded city. Cranston's character takes off his radiation suit; Olsen is shown crying. The military is then show with paratroopers and soldiers loading missiles. The shot continues, revealing a massive, skinny, four-legged monster. It seemed to have smaller arms on its chest and looked as if it had wings as well.
The next shot is from inside the airport terminal and through the glass walls, we see a plane crashing in a ball of fire right in front of the structure as the monster approaches in the background. Godzilla’s foot lands in view as well.
Next shot is the most clear yet from the front as we see the beast seemingly opening its wingspan as Godzilla – clearly several times larger than the aggressor – rises from behind it, roaring, as if it's going to destroy the creature to protect the land. It cuts to the Godzilla logo. Godzilla's face was not shown."Godzilla Encounter.
On July 25, in an interview posted on io9.com, Gareth explains some of the symbolism behind the movie.
On Wednesday, September 18, 2013, Omelete Entervista uploaded a video to YouTube that revealed about Bryan Cranston's character, called Joe Brodie, as well as Olsen's character and Aaron Taylor-Johnson's characters, named Elle Brodie and Ford Brodie, respectively. Cranston also said "We think you'll be able to wipe the memory of the old Godzilla 12 years ago or whatever that was, completely out of your system. This Godzilla is very diferent. Very much a character-driven monster movie, if that makes sense. To combine those types of elements of filmmaking together, and I say 'Why not? It's long overdue'. Instead of just having a monster, if you invest in these characters, and feel for them, care for them, you're going to appreaciate and have a better experience when the monster arrives, than when you're like 'Oh it's a person, I don't know who it is that was just crushed, oh okay whatever.', and that's what this Godzilla 2014 does."
On Friday, October 4, 2013, the teaser trailer for Godzilla was finally revealed, it appears to be the first Comic-Con trailer.
On Tuesday, October 8, 2013, a second trailer for Godzilla was leaked.
On November 11, 2013, Moviepilot.com posted an interview with Gareth Edwards, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, and Bryan Cranston.On Thursday, November 21, 2013, a full body image of the American Godzilla was leaked on an Amazon.ca page for the paperback Godzilla: With Light and Sounds!.
ProductionThe film was first announced at Comic-Con 2010 where an early concept art impression for the new Godzilla was revealed. Gareth Edwards, director of the movie Monsters has been announced as the director. Mr. Edwards has stated he knows the importance of getting the film right for the fans. Some Godzilla fans dislike the choice of director while others are okay with it because he is a fan of the Godzilla series. In October 2010, David Callaham was named to write the first draft of the script. After Callaham, four more persons worked on the screenplay during the film's development. David Goyer (the story writer for "The Dark Knight") has been announced as a writer for the movie. Many fans were excited about the this choice as they say David Goyer (along with Christopher Nolan) brought justice for the Batman movies using dark themes. However, Goyer only worked a few weeks on the script and did not get a screenwriter credit. In November 2011, Max Borenstein was hired to continue work on the script. In October 2012, Legendary announced that writer Drew Pearce would polish the final script, making the principal characters older to suit the actors that Legendary intends to cast.In January 2013, Frank Darabont (writer-director of The Shawshank Redemption and The Walking Dead), was officially added to work on the film script.
There are several reports that Toho is requiring a certain amount of suitmation to be used in the movie, alongside CGI.
Visitors to the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con received a t-shirt with an image of the new Godzilla design. The image is credited to comics and manga publisher UDON Entertainment. Artist Gonzalo Ordóñez Arias worked with Legendary and Toho for the painting. Visitors to the Legendary Pictures booth at the convention could view an animation of the new Godzilla expelling his thermonuclear breath superimposed over their image captured via a webcam. The augmented reality promotion was designed by Talking Dog Studios of Saskatchewan, Canada.
|TriStar will not be involved with the film.|
|Godzilla will fight two other monsters.|
|Godzilla will have his trademark atomic heat ray.|
|The movie is live action and 3D.|
|Gareth Edwards is the director.|
|Frank Darabont is the official writer.|
|The monsters and effects are CGI.|
|Legendary Pictures is the producer.|
|The film will be released on May 16, 2014.|
|The movie went into production during March 2013 in Vancouver and finished filming on July 18, 2013.|
|The story will focus on a marine played by Aaron-Taylor Johnson.|
|The Godzilla in this film will be the tallest Godzilla to date.|
|Alexandre Desplat is the composer for the film.|
- Ken Watanabe's wife, Kaho Minami had previously had a role in Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack.
- This will be the first time Akira Takarada appears in a non-Japanese Godzilla film.
- 2014 will be the year of Godzilla's 60th birthday.
- IMDB Godzilla (2014) page
- Talking Dog Studios Godzilla Augmented Reality demonstration
- Legendary brings in David Goyer to rewrite Godzilla - HitFix.com
- Godzilla Remake Finds A Writer In Max Borenstein - CinemaBlend.com
- New Godzilla Movie To Be Made With A Guy In A Rubber Suit? - CinemaBlend.com
- ‘Godzilla’ Teaser Poster and Footage Description Comic-Con 2012
- 'Godzilla' reboot to terrorize theaters in 2014 | Inside Movies | EW.com
- Film Thrasher: THE NEWS BUNDLE: Gareth Edwards' 'Godzilla' To Start Vancouver Production in March 2013
- Drew Pearce to Rewrite Godzilla - ComingSoon.net
- ‘Godzilla’ First Look Offers a Preview of the Upcoming Trailer!
- Twitter / mrdrewpearce: @Welsh1da There's a lot of ...
- Legendary Official FaceBook Page
- American Godzilla Official FaceBook Page
- Official American Godzilla site
This is a list of references for Godzilla (2014 film). These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures Preview Their Upcoming Lineups
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Godzilla | Omelete Entrevista Elizabeth Olsen & Bryan Cranston
- ↑  Vancouver island to provide setting for two Hollywood flicks - YouTube
- ↑  Legendary News - WARNER BROS. PICTURES AND LEGENDARY PICTURES ANNOUNCE CAST AND START OF PRODUCTION FOR "GODZILLA"
- ↑  Gareth Edwards greeting from the set of Godzilla - YouTube
- ↑  Godzilla takes over Nanaimo - YouTube
- ↑  Richard T. Jones Rounds Out Cast of ‘Godzilla’ | Variety
- ↑  Akira Takarada Returns To Face Godzilla | Movie News | Empire
- ↑  Sally Hawkins nabs final lead role in Legendary's Godzilla - Horror Movie News | Arrow in the Head
- ↑  North Vancouver actor Brian Markinson kept Mad Men role quiet
- ↑  Casting News! Revolutionary Sound Mix! Nuclear Panic!
- ↑ ‘Jurassic Park’ sequel one of four movies with plans to film in Hawaii
- ↑ Legendary Entertainment's Timeline Photos
- ↑ Legendary Entertainment's Timeline Photos
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151862650121747
- ↑ Godzilla Train Set Photo in Comicbookmovie.com
- ↑ A lot of pictures and a video in Comicbookmovie.com
- ↑ Legendary Maintop Teaser
- ↑ Farallon Bay nuclear waste dumps on Wikipedia
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muy8MfoPrhs Godzilla SHip Set Filming on Richmond BC
- ↑ Legendary G-2014 Night Shoot
- ↑ GODZILLA SPOILERS Image credits in CBM.com
- ↑ Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Bryan Cranston on-set pics
- ↑ 'Godzilla' Ready to Roar at Retail, Variety.com
- ↑ Cominsoon.net's pictures from Licensing Expo 2013
- ↑ What's behind the radioactive containment doors?
- ↑  SHOOT: Elizabeth Olsen Drenched by Rain Tower at GODZILLA in Downtown Vancouver | yvrshoots
- ↑ Godzilla Poster Premiere - IGN
- ↑  Comic-Con: Godzilla Unveiled In San Diego - Deadline.com
- ↑ 75 Pictures From Inside Legendary's GODZILLA ENCOUNTER at Comic-Con
- ↑ Godzilla (2014) stomps into San Diego Comic-Con!
- ↑ Comic-Con 2013 Interview: Gareth Edwards On Godzilla, Atomic Breath, the Design, Darabont & More!
- ↑ Godzilla: Director, Gareth Edwards Interview - IGN
- ↑ 
- ↑ GODZILLA ENCOUNTER FOOTAGE!!!!!
- ↑ Gareth Edwards explains the symbolism behind of kaiju
- ↑ The American Godzilla's Design Revealed!
- ↑ Godzilla Trailer Revealed!
- ↑ SECOND GODZILLA TRAILER LEAKED
- ↑ gareth Edwards and the cast reveal more about the Godzilla remake
- ↑ Godzilla: With Light and Sound! - Amazon.ca
- ↑ Godzilla Director Game For Destroy All Monsters-type Sequel
- ↑ Legendary | Godzilla