Newly released or upcoming content
|“||Well then, cast your eyes down and pray before the golden death. (伏して拝むがいい 黄金の終焉を)||„|
— Teaser tagline.
Godzilla: The Planet Eater (ＧＯＤＺＩＬＬＡ星を喰う者?), is a Gojira Hoshi o Kuu MonoJapanese animated tokusatsu kaiju film produced by Toho Company Ltd. and Polygon Pictures. It is the 34th film in the Godzilla series and acts as the sequel to the 2018's Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle, and also as the final installment in the animated Godzilla trilogy.
The film was released on November 9, 2018 in Japanese theaters, with a North American release set for an unknown date.
The film was directed by Kobun Shizuno, Hiroyuki Seshita, with a screenplay written by Gen Urobuchi. The Planet Eater follows City on the Edge of Battle, and sees Godzilla Earth fighting his ultimate nemesis, King Ghidorah, while the remaining forces on the planet attempt to figure out a way to stop them.
|“|| A door opens and a golden seal shatters a star.|
It is the early 21st century. Mankind has lost the battle for planet Earth to Godzilla, and has taken to the stars in search of a new home. But the search ends in vain, forcing them and their alien allies back to Earth. But 20,000 years have passed in their absence, and the Earth is a wholly different place.
The planet’s flora and fauna now embody and serve Godzilla. Earth is a monster’s planet, ruled by the largest Godzilla ever at 300 meters in height. Godzilla Earth.
Human protagonist, Captain Haruo, yearns to defeat Godzilla and retake the planet for mankind. There, he meets aboriginal descendants of the human race, the Houtua tribe. The Houtua twin sisters, Maina and Miana, lead him to the skeletal remains of Mechagodzilla, an old anti-Godzilla weapon, which to everyone’s surprise is still alive in the form of self-generating nanometal. Taken from the Mechagodzilla carcass, the nanometals have gradually been rebuilding a "Mechagodzilla City,” a potential weapon capable of destroying Godzilla Earth.
As the strategy develops, a rift forms between the humans and the Bilusaludo, one of several alien races that had joined the humans on their exodus from Earth. Their leader, Galu-gu, believes that the secret to defeating Godzilla lies in the use of superhuman powers - namely, the nanometal integration - but Haruo resists, fearing that in defeating monsters, they must not become monsters themselves. Haruo ultimately uses his means for defeating Godzilla Earth to destroy the Mechagodzilla city so as to prevent nanometal assimilation, killing Galu-gu. However, his childhood friend, Yuko, has been absorbed by the nanometal integration and has fallen into a brain dead coma.
The human race, once again, is lost. Metphies, commander of the priestly alien race, Exif, marvels at the miraculous survival of Haruo, he begins to attract a following. The Exif has secretly harbored this outcome as their “ultimate goal.” Miana and Maina issue warnings against Metphies, while Haruo begins to question mankind’s next move.
With no means for defeating Godzilla Earth, mankind watches as King Ghidorah, clad in a golden light, descends on the planet. The earth shakes once again with as war moves to a higher dimension.
What is Godzilla exactly? Does mankind stand a chance? Is there a future vision in Haruo’s eyes? Find out in the finale.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Kobun Shizuno, Hiroyuki Seshita
- Written by Gen Urobuchi
- Music by Takayuki Hattori
- Production design by Naoya Tanaka, Ferdinando Patulli
- Assistant directing by Hiroaki Ando, Kippei "Tady" Naohiro
- Special effects by Polygon Pictures
- Art director Yukihiro Shibuya
- Sound director Satoshi Motoyama
- Character design drafts Kozaki Yusuke
- CG character design Yuki Moriyama
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Mamoru Miyano as Haruo Sakaki
- Kana Hanazawa as Yuko Tani
- Tomokazu Sugita as Martin Lazzari
- Yuuki Kaji as Adam Bindewald
- Daisuke Ono as Eliott Leland
- Takahiro Sakurai as Metphies
- Kazuhiro Yamaji as Endurph
- Kazuya Nakai as Halu-elu Dolu-do
- Kenyu Horiuchi as Unberto Mori
- Kanehira Yamamoto as Takeshi J. Hamamoto
- Ari Ozawa as Miana
- Reina Ueda as Maina
- Kenichi Suzumura as Akira Sakaki
- Saori Hayami as Haruka Sakaki
On May 18, the day of City on the Edge of Battle's theatrical release for Japan, promotional images for the film began to leak out. The promo material teased the Toho reboot series' incarnation of King Ghidorah, and the flyer also showed a golden, electricity laced Exif insignia on the back of it.
A loosely translated tagline was unveiled, being "Bow down to the golden end." The film's title has many loose translations, ranging from Godzilla: Planet Eater, to Godzilla: Eater of Stars.
The film's official poster was unveiled on May 28, 2018, along with a website update featuring a teaser.
On July 30, 2018, the film's teaser was unveiled, revealing the film's title, which is Godzilla: The Planet Eater, while also teasing Ghidorah further through a roar.
On September 14, 2018, a website update and Twitter post revealed the film's new poster, showing Godzilla Earth fighting Ghidorah, with an unconscious Haruo Sakaki being held by Metphies. The film's theme was unveiled, which is called "Live and Die".
On the 26th, a new novelization dubbed Godzilla: Monster Planet was unveiled, bringing the total novel count to three.
On October 10, 2018, a full trailer was revealed. The trailer contained a lot of new reveals, including the Aratrum under siege by Ghidorah, Metphies growing a following, and Haruo's growing relationship with one of the Houtua twins.
On November 7, a second novel was announced, being named Godzilla: The Planet Eater. It is an adaptation of the film.
- The Planet Eater is the final Godzilla film to be produced and released during the Heisei period (平成時代 Heisei jidai) of Japan, which will likely end on April 30, 2019.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 G.H. (GMAN) (May 18, 2018). FINAL GODZILLA ANIME TEASES THE RETURN OF KING GHIDORAH! Godzilla Movies. Retrieved May 18, 2018
- ↑ (March 25, 2017). Godzilla Anime Is Film Trilogy Starring Mamoru Miyano Anime News Network. Retrieved May 5, 2017
- ↑ @HSeshita (April 18, 2018). 『GODZILLA決戦機動増殖都市』の仕上げがまさに追い込み！同時に３章の作業も進めています！ Twitter. Retrieved April 18, 2018
- ↑ @Nikooshi25252 (May 18, 2018). 次回「GODZILLA 星を喰う者」11月公開 #ゴジラ #アニゴジ #GODZILLA Twitter. Retrieved May 18, 2018