|Godzilla: Monster Planet|
Gojira Kaijū Wakusei
Godzilla: Monster Planet (ＧＯＤＺＩＬＬＡ怪獣惑星?) is an upcoming Gojira Kaijū WakuseiJapanese animated tokusatsu kaiju film produced by Toho Company Ltd. and Polygon Pictures. It is the 32nd film in the Godzilla series and the first animated film in the franchise. It will be released to Japanese theaters in November of 2017, and then streamed on Netflix worldwide at a later date following said release.
The film is being directed by Kobun Shizuno, Hiroyuki Seshita, with a screenplay being written by Gen Urobuchi. Godzilla: Monster Planet takes place in the far future, with humans returning to a Godzilla dominated planet Earth, having initially tried to escape it to little success.
This film is to be followed by two sequels, being the first in a planned trilogy.
|“|| Ever since it was first released as a feature film in 1954, “Godzilla” has come to be a colossal cultural icon loved by millions around the world. The 2016 release of “SHIN GODZILLA”, directed by Hideaki Anno, reinvigorated the franchise, bringing a completely novel and realistic depiction of the iconic monster story, which earned 82.5 million dollars at the box-office and captured the imagination of new and old fans alike. Now in 2017, “Godzilla” continues to surprise everyone along a new evolutionary path as a feature-length animated film.|
“GODZILLA” the animated movie takes the franchise into the uncharted territory of a future world in which Godzilla has dominated the earth for the past 20,000 years with mankind as diaspora, culminating in a fateful final confrontation.
Directing is Kobun Shizuno whose theatrical realize of “Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare” last year grossed 63.3 million dollars, the highest attendance ever for that famed franchise. He is joined by another proven talent on the cutting edge of computer graphics, Hiroyuki Seshita, as director and executive director of recently-topical anime including “Knights of Sidonia” ('14) and “Ajin” ('16) Penning both the story and screenplay is Gen Urobuchi of “PUELLA MAGI MADOKA MAGICA” ('11) and “Psycho-Pass” ('12), a writer known to his large and loyal fan base as a master of meticulous and unpredictable storytelling laced with powerful ideas. Finally, handling the production is 3-consecutive Emmy award winning Japanese 3DCG animation studio, Polygon Pictures, which produced “Knights of Sidonia” and “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” on U.S. television earning Outstanding Special Class Animated Program at the 40th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards.
Prepare for the earth-shattering roar of a brand new “GODZILLA”, unlike anything heard or seen before.
— Official site description of the film.
On August 18, 2016, Toho announced that an animated Godzilla film is currently in the works for a 2017 theatrical premiere, with Gen Urobuchi as the writer, and Kobun Shizuno and Hiroyuki Seshita as the directors.
On January 19, 2017, six members of the film's main voice cast were revealed, alongside a piece of concept art with what appears to be a duo of unknown mechs and human soldiers walking through a forest. Alongside this announcement was that of the film's scheduled stage event at AnimeJapan 2017 on March 26, 2017.
March 6 yielded more fruit when another concept image was posted on the Godzilla anime's official Twitter once more. This time, the piece depicts two people in heavy duty suits walking through a foggy forest full of spiny trees.
On March 13, it was announced that the film will release on Netflix later in the year, following a theatrical release in Japan.
On the 22nd, a promotional flyer was given out to the buyers of the Shin Godzilla Blu-Ray release in Japan, which revealed the film's full name of Godzilla: Monster Planet.
On the 24th, an official description for the anime was revealed via the film's official site, shown below. Alongside this was news of the film's release date, which has been slated for November, 2017.
On the 31st, a featurette for the film was revealed. It possessed interviews with voice actors, some previews into the development of the film, including the creation and rendering of models within the film. It was filmed and subtitled entirely in Japanese.
On June 12, 2017, a promotional poster for the film was revealed, this time featuring the titular monster himself. The design of the creature was shown to be very reminiscent of the recent 2014 design for the monster.
On July 6, a thirty second teaser trailer for the film was revealed. Short snippets of the film preview included shots of the protagonist, Haruo Sakaki, the main cast, a new kaiju, and a brief shot of Godzilla, shrouded in dust, somewhat reminiscent of the 2012 Comic-Con trailer for the 2014 Godzilla film.
|“|| The final summer of the 20th century… when mankind learns it is no longer the sole ruler of planet Earth.|
The planet is beset by the emergence of colossal creatures that roam the earth, and king among them is “Godzilla”. For a half a century, these beasts engage in ferocious battle with each other and mankind. But humans, unable to compete, prepare for exile from their home planet. In the year 2048, a select few humans are chosen by the central government's artificial intelligence infrastructure to set out on an interstellar emigration vessel, the Aratrum, on an 11.9-lightyear journey for the planet Tau-e in the Cetus constellation. But when they arrive after 20 years of space travel, the remnants of mankind find the environmental conditions on Tau-e to be much different than expected, and basically uninhabitable by humans.
On youth on board the emigration vessel, Haruo, had seen his parents killed by Godzilla before his eyes when he was only 4 years old. Ever since, he has thought of nothing but returning to Earth to defeat Godzilla. With the doors to emigration now closed, Haruo and other crew spearhead a “return to Earth” decision despite severely attenuated and hazardous conditions on board for such a long trip back.
Somehow, the Aratrum makes the return journey in one piece, but the home they return to has become an alien planet. 20,000 years have elapsed, and a new ecosystem has emerged withatop the food chain.
Can mankind take back its native planet? Will Haruo get his revenge?
— Story introduction
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Mamoru Miyano as Haruo Sakaki
- Takahiro Sakurai as Metphies
- Kana Hanazawa as Yuko Tani
- Tomokazu Sugita as Martin Lazzari
- Yuuki Kaji as Adam Bindewald
- Junichi Suwabe as Mulu-Elu Galu-gu
On March 25, at the Animation Film Godzilla Special Stage event at AnimeJapan 2017, it was announced that Monster Planet is the first in a planned trilogy of animated Godzilla films.
- This will be the first Godzilla film to not be a live-action film.
- This is the second Godzilla movie to have two directors.
- The subtitle of this film is based on a 1994 Godzilla simulator title, Monster Planet of Godzilla, which screened only at a Tokyo theme park called Sanrio Puroland.
- ↑ Gilyadov, Alex (March 13, 2017). NETFLIX TO AIR ORIGINAL ANIME MOVIE, GODZILLA IGN. Retrieved June 17, 2017
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 (March 25, 2017). Godzilla Anime Is Film Trilogy Starring Mamoru Miyano Anime News Network. Retrieved May 5, 2017
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 (March 24, 2017). INTRO/STORY Godzilla Anime. Retrieved May 5, 2017
- ↑ Ragone, August (August 18, 2016). TOHO GEARS UP FIRST "GODZILLA" ANIME MOVIE From the Makers of "Gargantia" & "Sidonia" Blogspot. Retrieved May 5, 2017
- ↑ (January 19, 2017). Gen Urobuchi's Godzilla Anime Film Reveals 6 Main Cast Members, Concept Art Image Anime News Network. Retrieved May 5, 2017
- ↑ @GODZILLA_ANIME (February 24, 2017). 【AJ2017まであと30日】3/25（土）、26（日）開催の「AnimeJapan 2017」に『GODZILLA』は26日のREDステージで登場！ステージ上で初解禁される情報もご用意。COUNTDOWN企画として、新規コンセプトアートを解禁します！#anigodzi Twitter. Retrieved May 5, 2017
- ↑ @GODZILLA_ANIME (March 6, 2017).【AJ2017まであと20日】「AnimeJapan 2017」REDステージ（3/26）に『GODZILLA』は登場！ 本日は初期イメージラフスケッチをお見せします。数々の名作で美術監督を務めてきた本作のプロダクションデザイナーが企画初期に描いたものです。#anigodzi Twitter. Retrieved May 5, 2017
- ↑ Whitbrook, James (March 13, 2017). Godzilla's First Anime Movie Is Coming to Netflix Gizmodo. Retrieved May 5, 2017
- ↑ @GODZILLA_ANIME (March 16, 2017).【AJ2017まであと10日】いよいよ新情報発表まで10日を切りました！カウントダウン企画第３弾は再び「コンセプトアート」です。アニメジャパンまで少しづつ映画の世界観をお伝えしていきます。引き続き、劇場公開映画『GODZILLA』の新着情報をお楽しみに！#anigodzi Twitter. Retrieved May 5, 2017
- ↑ @GODZILLA_ANIME (March 22, 2017).【AJ2017まであと5日】いよいよ新情報発表まで5日を切りました！カウントダウン企画第4弾の「コンセプトアート」です。TOHO animationブース（東6ホール：J82）ではキービジュアルの大型バナー展示や本編登場の巨大メカニックの再現展示も！！#anigodzi Twitter. Retrieved May 5, 2017
- ↑ (March 24, 2017). News: 2017.03.24 Godzilla Anime. Retrieved May 5, 2017
- ↑ @GODZILLA_ANIME (June 12, 2017). 『シン・ゴジラ』から”アニメゴジラ”へ。アニメーション映画『GODZILLA 怪獣惑星』のゴジラビジュアル（一部）がついに解禁！二万年の進化を果たした歴代最大のゴジラ、ここに誕生！！。「絶望は進化する」というフレーズと共に、そこに存在するゴジラ、圧巻です。#アニゴジ Twitter. Retrieved June 12, 2017