Newly released or upcoming content
Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle (ＧＯＤＺＩＬＬＡ決戦機動増殖都市?), is an upcoming Gojira Kessen Kidō Zōshoku ToshiJapanese animated tokusatsu kaiju film produced by Toho Company Ltd. and Polygon Pictures. It will be released to Japanese theaters on May 18, 2018.
It will be the 33rd film in the Godzilla series and acts as the sequel to the 2017 film, Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters. This film is set to be followed by a sequel, which will be the final film in the animated Godzilla trilogy.
|“|| By the advent of the 21st century, much of humanity was dead, having been trampled over by a new master, Godzilla. A select few among mankind took to the stars in a spacefaring vessel called the Aratrum in search of “the promised land,” the planet Tau-e that could sustain human life. But the migration plan fails, and the remnants of the human race decide to return to Earth. But the distortions in space-time and the distance traveled means that mankind is returning to a completely changed Earth some 20,000 years later. The returnees, led by hero Haruo, prepare to take the fight to Godzilla based on a strategy that has been 20 years in the making. Carried out with the help of two alien species, the Exif and the Bilusaludo, the humans succeed in defeating Godzilla in a costly battle to the death.|
But the victory is short-lived. Rising from the depths of the planet is a new breed of monster, dubbed “Godzilla Earth.” Evolving for 20,000 years, the creature stands 300 meters high, weighs over 100,000 tons and wields such overwhelmingly destructive power that Haruo and company have no choice but to run for their lives.
Coming to Haruo’s rescue, however, is Miana, a member of an aboriginal tribe called the Houtua. They are the first humanoid people the returnees have encountered. Could they descend from humans? “Our tribal god was destroyed by Godzilla. All that we have left are these eggs. Anyone who has tried to fight or resist him has been drowned in fire,” the tribespeople say to Haruo, who responds with: “This is our last hope of recovering our home.”
Meanwhile, Bilusaludo commander, Galu-gu is elated to discover that the Houtua tribe’s arrowheads are made of a nanometal or a self-sustaining metal. It had been developed in the 21st century as an “anti-Godzilla” killer weapon deployed at their decisive battle fought at the foot of Mt. Fuji, but had been destroyed before it could be activated in the form of a “Mecha-Godzilla.” The nanometal was its base substance, and proof that the manufacturing plant can still be used.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Kobun Shizuno, Hiroyuki Seshita
- Written by Gen Urobuchi
- Music by Takayuki Hattori
- Production design by Naoya Tanaka, Ferdinando Patulli
- Assistant directing by Hiroaki Ando, Kippei "Tady" Naohiro
- Special effects by Polygon Pictures
- Art director Yukihiro Shibuya
- Sound director Satoshi Motoyama
- Character design drafts Kozaki Yusuke
- CG character design Yuki Moriyama
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Mamoru Miyano as Haruo Sakaki
- Kana Hanazawa as Yuko Tani
- Tomokazu Sugita as Martin Lazzari
- Yuuki Kaji as Adam Bindewald
- Takahiro Sakurai as Metphies
- Kazuhiro Yamaji as Endurph
- Junichi Suwabe as Mulu-Elu Galu-gu
- Kenta Miyake as Rilu-elu Belu-be
- Kazuya Nakai as Halu-elu Dolu-do
- Kenyu Horiuchi as Unberto Mori
- Kanehira Yamamoto as Takeshi J. Hamamoto
- Ari Ozawa as Miana
- Reina Ueda as Maina
The film was announced on November 17, 2017, the day of Planet of the Monsters' release in Japan, alongside a teaser poster for the film, which teased the Toho reboot series' incarnation of Mechagodzilla.
On February 12, 2018, concept art of a cave environment from the film would be posted to the Godzilla anime's Twitter.
On February 17, the statue of the anime Godzilla meant for film promotion was unveiled, having been redesigned to fit the aesthetic of Godzilla Earth, over the previous design of Godzilla Filius. The redesigns included a slight paint job alteration and added chin spikes.
The film's release date was announced on March 5, 2018, being May 18, 2018. The news came alongside new concept art for the film featuring Godzilla Earth, standing in a mountainous region. In addition to this, a synopsis for the film would be unveiled alongside this, revealing a small portion of the film's plot.
On March 19, 2018 a large overhaul of both the film's official Twitter and site occurred, with a new poster being unveiled, showing off Mechagodzilla, and the film's cast. The film's official English title was also confirmed, being Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle. Additionally, it was announced that Xai would return to the anime series to create the sequel's theme song, "The Sky Falls", following Planet of the Monster's "White Out".
On April 19, just under a month before the film's release, a trailer was released to the public. It contained shots of a new, flying mech, Mechagodzilla in a deactivated state, Miana and her sister, Maina, alongside their tribe, and shots of Godzilla Earth attacking and being attacked, with the final shot of the trailer showing the monster's body and surrounding environment looking charred from an unknown, devastating attack. This trailer featured the debut of the song, "The Sky Falls".
On the same day, it was announced that work on City on the Edge of Battle had finished.
- ↑ (November 17, 2017). News: 11.17.17 アニメゴジラ第二章タイトルが緊急発表！ Godzilla Anime. Retrieved November 16, 2017
- ↑ @GODZILLA_ANIME (February 12, 2018). 『決戦機動増殖都市』：コンセプトアートこの巨大な洞窟のような場所はーーー？ Twitter. Retrieved February 13, 2018
- ↑ @GODZILLA_ANIME (March 5, 2018). 公開日が5/18（金）に決定!!さらに制作現場からコンセプトアートが１点到着！ Twitter. Retrieved March 5, 2018
- ↑ G.H. (GMAN) (March 19, 2018). GODZILLA ANIME SEQUEL GETS AN ENGLISH TITLE, THEME SONG & MORE! Godzilla Movies. Retrieved March 19, 2018
- ↑ @GODZILLA_ANIME (March 19, 2018). 本作の主題歌に、XAIの続投決定！ Twitter. Retrieved March 19, 2018
- ↑ @GODZILLA_ANIME (March 27, 2018). 先週日曜日の「AnimeJapan 2018」 Twitter. Retrieved March 28, 2018
- ↑ @HSeshita (April 19, 2018). 『GODZILLA 決戦機動増殖都市』全追録作業終了！最後はユウコ役の花澤香菜さんでした。迫真の熱演ありがとうございました！ Twitter. Retrieved April 20, 2018