Daikondoru (大コンドル?, Daikondoru, lit. Large condor, a.k.a. 大ワシ?, Daiwashi, lit. Large eagle) is a giant condor kaiju created by Toho Studios that first faced Godzilla in the 1966 Godzilla film, Ebirah, Horror of the Deep.
In Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, the Giant Condor briefly grapples with Godzilla, but it proves to be nothing more then a nuisance for the King of the Monsters, who roasts it with his atomic breath. Its body plummets into the ocean, the Giant Condor disappearing as suddenly as it appeared.
The Giant Condor appears once more in All Monsters Attack, now a giant eagle, and Godzilla once again destroys it with his atomic ray, and its body then falls into the ocean. Its entire appearance consists of stock footage from Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster.
The Giant Condor has the abilities of what a large bird of prey would have: sharp talons, a piercing beak and the power of flight. It's not known to have any more powers.
- The Giant Condor could have been used as a defense by the terrorist group in Ebirah, Horror of the Deep.
- The Giant Condor was considered for Godzilla: Final Wars.
- The Giant Condor was meant to be an opponent for King Kong, who was originally featured in the script for Ebirah, Horror of the Deep. King Kong was replaced with Godzilla during production due to problems with Rankin-Bass, the current owners of the Kong rights.
- The Giant Condor's shrieking screech was utilized for Minilla in Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, and All Monsters Attack.
- The Giant Condor is one of the four minor Showa era monsters, who include the Giant Lizard, the Giant Octopus, the Giant Condor, the Giant Sea Serpent, and Skeleturtle, to have received an official toy. The others are the Giant Octopus, Skeleturtle and the Giant Sea Serpent.
- The Giant Condor could be related to the Argentavis species, the largest flying birds ever discovered. However, since the Argentavis and its relatives lived in South America, it is possible that the Giant Condor is not related to this species.
- The fight with the Giant Condor is one of Godzilla's shortest battles.
This is a list of references for Giant Condor. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: