Ebirah generally resembles a giant red lobster. His body is red all throughout, and he has one pincer that is larger than the other one. He also has two antennae and a giant nose-like shell piece. Ebirah additionally has multiple legs and multiple segments in his body, leading up to a normal lobster tail.
HistoryRed Bamboo secretly operated on the remote Letchi Island in the South Pacific, where they enslaved natives of Infant Island while producing nuclear weapons. Guarding the waters of the island was Ebirah, who destroyed any ship that came too close to the island. Ebirah was successful at this and no ship could reach the island. The Red Bamboo ships used a special extract from the island's fruit to protect themselves from Ebirah. When a small group of people stranded on the island saw Godzilla sleeping in a cave, they woke him so he could fight Ebirah. Godzilla easily won and injured the crustacean with the atomic breath. The day after, a Red Bamboo ship appeared, but they accidentally used a placebo and not the fruit extract. Ebirah attacked and tore the ship apart. Godzilla reappeared, but this time, Godzilla pulled off Ebirah's claws. Ebirah escaped and was not seen again. Godzilla: Final Wars as one of the many controlled monsters of the Xiliens. It destroys a factory near Tokyo. The military forces try to destroy Ebirah, but the immense crustacean is too powerful, knocking over buildings in order to destroy tanks and resisting weaponry with its durable exoskeleton. But the mutant soldiers are called to stop the monster.
The mutants successfully defeat Ebirah with specialized hand-held maser cannons and were about to kill it, when it disappeared. The Xiliens arrive and say that they destroyed the monsters to save Earth. However, it is soon found out that the monsters were controlled by the Xiliens. The Gotengo then frees Godzilla from Antarctica so he could fight the controlled kaiju. The plan is a success and Godzilla successfully defeats most of the kaiju. Then Ebirah and Hedorah are sent to destroy Godzilla in Tokyo bay.
However, Godzilla blasts them out of the water with the atomic ray and the duo crash into a building, with Ebirah accidentally piercing Hedorah's large eye with his pincer. Godzilla then emerges from the waves and fires another atomic ray and defeats both Ebirah and Hedorah.
In Godzilla: Final Wars, Ebirah can attack with both of its claws in a signature attack called "Crisis Scissors."
Ebirah has no special powers, but he has strong claws and is an adept swimmer.
Since Ebirah is a lobster, he could have the ability to regenerate his claws as well, but it's not seen.
In Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, Ebirah showed a dislike of the spice Saffron. Red Bamboo used this weakness to prevent Ebirah from attacking their boats, which shot out jets of gas containing the Saffron to ward him off.
Ebirah appeared within the game Godzilla: Trading Battle.
Ebirah makes its only appearance in the Atari-Pipeworks games in Godzilla: Save the Earth in the final on-rail shooter-style level when playing as Godzilla 2000. Ebirah appears before facing the Vortaaks' underwater ship and must be defeated to continue.
|“|| This huge crustacean lived in the vicinity of Letchi Island in the South Pacific.|
Ebirah allegedly turned into a monster due to the waste flowing from the arms factory of a secret society called the "Red Bamboo". It used its giant, scissor-like right arm and spear-like left arm to attack ships approaching the island, preventing them from approaching the outer reaches of the coast. Its weakness was identified when people discovered that the monster could be thwarted by a bitter yellow juice made from the seeds of plants growing on the island.
In "Godzilla: Final Wars" (2004), Ebirah was controlled by the Xilien invaders and attacked the East Sea Industrial Complex Zone, eventually resulting in a battle with the Earth Defense Force (EDF) Mutant Unit and M Organization. It was also able to come ashore and operate on land, where it unleashes its dual-claw attack, "Crisis Scissors". When it eventually attacked Godzilla with Hedorah in Tokyo Bay, it was thrown onto land and given the coup de grace with a heat ray.
— Ebirah Kaiju Guide Bio
- Main article: Flying Ebirah.
Ebirah appears in Kodansya's Godzilla, King of the Monsters manga series, where he is modified by the evil Dr. Oniyama into Flying Ebirah to battle Godzilla, but is defeated.
During the battle between King Caesar and Megalon, the island's natives caught between the two kaiju's battle ran for cover, some escaping to the ocean. However, Varan and Ebirah started to devour any stragglers. Ebirah, Varan, Megalon and King Caesar all vanished as an alien ship crash landed into the ocean near by. Ebirah was later seen on the water monsters section of the mural on Infant Island.
Ebirah makes a full appearance in issue #17, where he abruptly attacks Godzilla, who is swimming back after his battle with the MechaGodzillas and Mecha-King Ghidorah. Godzilla throws Ebirah to the surface, and the two monsters arrive in Sao Paulo, Brazil. While Godzilla and Ebirah battle, Ebirah is swarmed by Meganulons, who break through his shell and draw blood. Ebirah snaps his claw shut on some of the Meganulons, cutting them in half. Megaguirus soon arrives and stings Ebirah. After repeated attacks from all of the monsters, Ebirah retreats to the ocean. Ebirah was not seen afterwards, and none of the Trilopods possessed his characteristics.Godzilla: Cataclysm Issue 2, Arata's grandfather states that members of his village pray to Ebirah to bring them plentiful fishing trips.
In other languages
- Russian: Эбира
- Chinese: 伊比拉 (Yībǐ lā)
- Toho had first wanted Ebirah to be King Kong's enemy instead of Godzilla's but a rights problem caused Kong to be dropped and Toho replaced him with Godzilla without enhancing Ebirah.
- In the English version of the 1966 tokusatsu film, The Magic Serpent, Tsunade's giant spider used edited Ebirah roars.
- According to the German release of Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, Ebirah was possibly created by Dr. Frankenstein.
- In the original concept for Destroy All Monsters, Ebirah was originally supposed to appear and was to guard the Kilaak base with Maguma. However Ebirah, along with Maguma, was left out due to the water damage of the suit and not being able to really fight on land and was eventually replaced with Anguirus, Gorosaurus, and Minilla for the final draft.
- The version of Ebirah as seen in Godzilla: Final Wars is nearly killed by Ozaki and the other mutants' maser cannons, making Ebirah one of the few monsters to be defeated by humanity without the use of vehicles, super-weapons like the Oxygen Destroyer, or other monsters.
- Despite being labeled a lobster, there are a few species of crustacean that resemble Ebirah more than lobsters as the crayfish and ironically the shrimp such as the Snapping Shrimps and distinctively the Heterocarpus shrimps.
- Ebirah inspired two monsters who appeared in the Nintendo anime Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, Ebifryer and Ebizou. Both are giant shrimp monsters who have abilities far stronger than the rest of the cast.
List of appearances
- Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (First appearance)
- All Monsters Attack (Stock Footage)
- Godzilla: Final Wars
- Godzilla, King of the Monsters (Gameboy)
- Godzilla: Heart-Pounding Monster Island!!
- Godzilla Movie Studio Tour
- Godzilla: Trading Battle
- Godzilla Generations
- Godzilla: Save the Earth
- Godzilla: Kaiju Collection
- Godzilla (2014 video game) (Kaiju Guide)
- Godzilla, King of the Monsters
- Godzilla: The Half-Century War
- Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
- Godzilla: Cataclysm