In the real world
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 is cancelled after 10 seasons, 11 years, and more than 190 episodes.
- Godzilla 2000: Millennium is released on December 11 in Japan.
In the Kaiju Multiverse
- All of Earth's giant monsters (including Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, Anguirus, Minilla, Baragon, Gorosaurus, Manda, Kumonga, and Varan) have been gathered up and are now living on an island in the Ogasawara chain dubbed Monsterland, where they are monitored and studied by the world's scientists. An alien race called the Kilaaks take control of all of the monsters and send them to attack the world's major cities. The monsters are eventually freed from control, and they team up to fight the monster King Ghidorah. After a long fight, the monsters actually kill the space hydra and humanity is successful in defeating the aliens once and for all. The monsters are returned to Monsterland, where they are left to live their lives in peace (Destroy All Monsters)
- 45 years after the first Godzilla attack, a second Godzilla rises and raids Tateyama, Japan. In retaliation, the Japanese government passes a bill for the creation of a new weapon designed to kill the beast. The J.S.D.F. recovers the skeleton of the original Godzilla from the bottom of Tokyo Bay, and scientists successfully extract living stem cells from the corpse. With a powerful DNA computer ready, and the skeleton to be used for structure, work begins on the construction of a cybernetic Godzilla robot, a "MechaGodzilla", to be used to eradicate the new Godzilla for good. (Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla)
- Aliens resurrect a giant prehistoric creature dubbed Yonggary. However, they lose control of the ancient reptile and send forth their ultimate monster Cykor to destroy humanity. Fortunately, Yonggary fights and defeats Cykor, saving the Earth and the human race. (Reptilian)
- The new Godzilla, along with the HEAT Team, continues to fight monstrous mutations in defense of humanity. (Godzilla: The Series)
- A deadly mine collapse in the Philippine Highlands leads to a subterranean hazmat investigation, led by Doctor Serizawa. The MUTO destroys the Janjira Nuclear power plant in Janjira, Japan, ultimately killing a number of power plant workers, including Sandra Brody. (Godzilla)